Do people in the disability community like it when they say they are an inspiration

![image|281x500](upload://iqLsne30yThLCsxhh0UgrPk7oEm. I love, love this article and admire these women! I am, however torn between why some people in the disability community don’t like when someone says they are an “inspiration.” I understand why some people may get upset, but for me, I don’t mind. I also use the word Inspiration when I look up to others in the disability community such as: @christina_disarmed @itslololove @jillianmercado @disabilityfashionstylist and much much more. I also feel I am 50/50 because I still feel like I am new to the disability community and still learning each and every day. I want to hear your thoughts about this? Do you like when people say it?, don’t care?

1 Like

I’m also torn! Personally I don’t mind so much generally, but there are times every so often where it’ll get under my skin. I think context is a big thing for me! One I personally don’t like is being called inspirational for navigating access barriers that shouldn’t be there in the first place

1 Like

Ok so it sounds like me and you are in the same boat and I can totally relate. I guess as time goes on we will get a better feel but for now I don’t mind. Lol

I don’t have an issue with it at all!! It gives me the energy to fight for myself and my fellow Myasthenia Gravis Warriors. When I created my organization My Walk with MG, my goal was to inspire my MG Community in whatever way I could and so far I have been successful. I get messages from all over the world nationally and internationally from MG patients telling me how my words or words from another MG Warrior helped them get through the day. That alone inspires me!! We inspire one another. That’s what it’s all about!! When you all can check out a segment I have called 30 Faces of MG on one of my platforms www.facebook.com/mywalkwithmg
Use it as a tool to continue to build yourself up and who you’re speaking up for!

3 Likes

That’s completely fair Tasha! I definitely agree with you about it giving energy :heart: I’ve given your page a like!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I see it from both sides and can understand why not but why not!! Your work can and will touch many lives in the most impactful way. How can I support you and your mission? Can you post your platforms?

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I feel we inspire each other.

1 Like

@tasha.white Bless you! I’ve just also dropped you a follow on both twitter and instagram, I’m @pixellatxd on both! I also have a blog, which is at http://pixellatxd.home.blog :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for the support!! I’ll check out your blog and other platforms as well with a follow!

I think it depends on the why. I think it’s frustrating to be called inspirational just for going about my daily life - because that shouldn’t be an inspiration, it should just be normal. If someone is calling me an inspiration just for living, it means that there’s still a huge stigma around being disabled. Being called inspirational for advocacy work, though, and inspiring others to be advocates, is another thing!

2 Likes

Hahahaha I totally feel you. That totally makes sense, thank you for your feedback.

1 Like

i really dont mind because it also let me know i am doing something right and making a difference so others wont give up

1 Like

that’s honestly the same way I feel! I don’t mind niether. thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I think it depends on where it’s coming from and who it’s coming from. I don’t always like it when people say I’m inspirational. Because I was born with a CHD I kind of feel like I don’t know any other way to live. I’m not really inspirational I’m just alive. I do prefer “warrior” I feel like that has a better context since I do have battles that I go through in my life. But I think inspirational has gotten bogged down with negative context and condescending tones.

1 Like

I am Laryngectomee, (vocal chords removed in 1997 due to cancer in last stage) in 24th year & lost natural ability to speak & since them i am speaking with electronic device which sounds absolutely different as against normal human voice & this is my distinct identity for life time as magical counselor & global inspirational speaker.
I am giving live presentations during world conferences, medical colleges, Cancer institutes & also through virtual conferences.
**It does not matter to me AT ALL or to even any body & as a matter of fact they get inspired seeing me speaking.

Frankly speaking they admire, acknowledge my courage,confidence & my abilities of transforming my disabilities into die hard global inspirational speaker & as catalyst counselor. To me its 100% Zero impact to my disability.

1 Like

I totally agree with you! that makes total sense and thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it humbling, especially when I’m not feeling exactly like an inspiration. But then I think perhaps that’s why they’re saying it when I don’t exactly feel like it. To remind me what I am when things have gotten me down.

1 Like

That makes total sense! I agree!

1 Like

It let’s me know I’m doing what I set out to do.